Johannesburg- Thursday, 02 September 2021 -The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) is pleased to announce that it has secured the rights to the live broadcast of all of South Africa’s matches – home and away – in the 2nd round of the FIFA World Cup 2022 African Qualifiers, taking place between the 1st of September and the 16th of November 2021, over six matches.
South Africa will face tough opponents in Ghana, Zimbabwe and Ethiopia in their Group G matches as they fight to become one of the 10 group winners who will go into the final qualifying round next year. It all kicks off with Bafana Bafana against Zimbabwe on Friday, 3 September at 15h00 in Harare, before they return home to take on the Black Stars at FNB Stadium on Monday, 6 September at 18h00.
The SABC Sport General Manager, Gary Rathbone said, “we are extremely pleased to have been able to reach an agreement with FIFA to broadcast these games and allow South African football fans to be part of the excitement as our team takes up the challenge to qualify for the Finals in Qatar 2022. With a new coach and a new energy in the team, this Friday and next Monday will be a time to focus on the present and stand as a nation behind our team – win or lose.”
He added that “this also shows that SABC Sport can do more for its audiences by going the extra mile to bring them all of the soccer action. Making games of national importance available to all South Africans and bringing us together behind our national teams like Bafana Bafana – that is really what the SABC is all about”.
All six matches will be broadcast live and in full on either SABC 1 or SABC 3, as well as on the SABC Sport Channel, 11 SABC radio stations with full commentary and 2 radio stations with live reports. SABC 1 and 3 and the Sport Channel are also available on the SABC DTT service, as well as the Openview platform and the TelkomONE mobile live-streaming app.
- Friday, 3rd September 2021 – Zimbabwe VS South Africa at 15h00 live on SABC 1, SABC Sport Channel (DTT/Openview 124/TelkomONE) and SABC Radio Stations.
- Monday, 6th September 2021 – South Africa vs Ghana at 18h00 live on SABC 3, SABC Sport Channel (DTT/Openview 124/TelkomONE) and SABC Radio Stations.
- Wednesday, 6th October 2021 – Ethiopia VS South Africa (Channels TBC)
- Sunday, 10th October 2021 – South Africa VS Ethiopia (Channels TBC)
- Thursday, 11th November 2021 – South Africa VS Zimbabwe (Channels TBC)
- Sunday, 14th November 2021 – Ghana VS South Africa (Channels TBC)
Follow us @sabcsport on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates.
Issued By: Group Communications
Media Enquiries: Ms. Gugu Ntuli (Group Executive: Corporate Affairs and Marketing)
NtuliGM@sabc.co.za|T. 011 714 3311|C. 071 877 0513