Terms and Conditions of service
1. The main objective of the South African Broadcasting Corporation SOC Limited “SABC” is to supply broadcasting and information services to the public in the Republic of South Africa as set out in the Broadcasting Act No. 4 of 1999 as amended “Broadcasting Act”.
4. The User and/or Subscriber is only permitted to use the service for personal and non-commercial use. The User and /or Subscriber is duly granted a non-transferable and non-exclusive right to access our services and content.
5. The use of our services must strictly be in accordance with all applicable laws of South Africa, and we prohibit any use of our Digital services or website/s and Mobile Application/s that is contrary thereto.
6. We do not warrant nor guarantee the accuracy of the information on our Digital Platforms i.e. website/s and Mobile Application/s and hereby wish to advise the User and/or Subscriber that our services are rendered “as is” and we shall not be held liable for any inaccuracies or any losses of whatsoever nature. We encourage the User and/or Subscriber to take steps to verify all information before relying on it
8. Any breach of these Terms and Conditions by the User and/or Subscriber shall be borne entirely by the User and/or Subscriber. We shall not be liable for any losses, damages or injuries caused by arising from the conduct of the User and/or Subscriber.
9. All content or material on SABC Digital Platforms i.e. website/s and mobile application/s shall be and remains the exclusive property of the SABC, and the User and/or Subscriber agrees to comply
with all legal formalities within the territory for the protection and preservation of the content and the SABC’s intellectual property rights therein.
10. The User and/or Subscriber shall neither use nor permit the use, directly or indirectly, of the content for dubbing, copying and recording.
11. All other rights in and to the content, including, without limitation, all copyright and other intellectual property rights relating to the programmes, are fully retained by the SABC.
12. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of Republic of South Africa and the User and/or Subscriber consents to the jurisdiction.
13. Please be advised that these Terms and Conditions of Service are subject to change from time to time.
1. This notice applies to the SABC’s Digital Platforms i.e., website/s and mobile application/s and all other media and communication platform services owned by the SABC. Please take time and acquaint yourself with this notice as it details how we process and protect your personal information that you share with us when you access all our Digital platforms and all media sites owned by the SABC.
2. In terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act No.4 of 2013 “POPIA” the SABC is a Responsible Party for handling personal information belonging to its User and/or Subscribers known as Data Subjects.
3. We are committed to protecting your privacy and the processing of personal information in compliance with POPIA that was enacted to give effect to a persons’ right to privacy through protecting individuals’ personal information from abuse such as identity theft in the Republic of South Africa.
4. When you use our Digital Platforms and all other media and communication platform services, we will collect your personal information for internal process such as understanding who uses our platforms, where our audience is coming from geographically and more so as to be able to improve our services inclusive of content offering. We are legally obliged to safeguard all the personal information that we process in compliance with POPIA as guided by our Protection of Personal Information Policy.
5. Under no circumstances will we share, rent or sell your personal information to a third party and we commit to use security measures to protect your personal information in our possession from abuse and only use such information for the purpose for which it is collected as well process data in accordance with POPIA.
6. We require your consent prior to processing your personal information, however there are exceptional circumstances where we are permitted to disclose personal information if we believe that such action is necessary to:- 6.1 comply with a legal obligation;
6.2 protect and defend the rights or property of the SABC;
6.3 investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the service;
6.4 protect the personal safety of other users of the service or members of the public; and
6.5 protect ourselves from legal liability.
7. As a User and/or Subscriber, when you use our Digital platforms, we will collect the following personal information but not limited to the below; 7.1 general personal information including your contact details;
7.2 usage information;
7.3 device and browser information; and
7.4 location and demographic information.
7.5 User activities i.e., navigation and consumption of content and/or data on our digital platforms