The Marikana Judicial Commission of Inquiry will resume its hearings in Rustenburg this morning. The first two days of the hearings produced fireworks, with parties involved trying to shift the blame for the August 16 shootings, which left 34 miners dead.
The first two days were spent on legal teams outlining the course of their action during the inquiry, which is expected to take several months. During the next few days the inquiry is expected to steam roll into action with testimony from various witnesses. The Farlam Commission is determined to find out what exactly lead to the events of August 16.
Ten people had died in earlier clashes between police and miners. While police argued that they had no choice but to respond against armed miners threatening them, legal teams representing the workers and their families said it was pre-meditated murder.
Workers at the mine went on strike on August 10, demanding a monthly salary of R12 500
Meanwhile, the Socio-economic Rights Institute, representing the majority of families of Marikana victims hopes to persuade government to reconsider the withdrawal of financial aid to their clients for transport and accommodation. The Department of Justice has said it will stop paying the expenses of families who attend hearings of the Farlam Commission of Inquiry into the Marikana shootings in Rustenburg in North West.
Many family members are from other provinces, as far as the Eastern Cape. The group says if the request fails, they will resort to legal action.
Institute spokesperson, Jackie Dugard says: "To have truth and justice for the families, we will do whatever it takes. One of the steps that we will probably take this week if government does not change its mind about funding is to seek urgent interim relief in the courts."
Workers at the mine went on strike on August 10, demanding a monthly salary of R12 500. Within four days, 10 people had been killed, two of them police officers and two of them security guards.