Five members of a family including a 17-month-old child have died after eating wild mushrooms in the Marianhill area, north of
Workers at the compound picked wild mushrooms at a nearby forest. Bheki Mkhize took some home for his girlfriend, two sisters and niece. The following day they all fell ill, presenting the same symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting and then convulsions.
Shocked family members say they suffered an excruciating death. Aunt Thobekile Cele says: "They all died in the same way even the baby started having fits and they all started hallucinating."
Today police combed the area where the mushrooms were picked
Today, police combed the area where the mushrooms were picked but their attempts to remove the rest, proved difficult as the area is vast. Experts warn that people should never eat wild mushrooms as they can't differentiate between species.
Mycologist, Professor Mike Windfield says: "Another thing is the very toxic ones like amantis folios when in contact with other edible ones could contaminate them, a small piece could make you ill or even kill you.”"
Police have opened an inquiry into the deaths.