SABC News - More rubbish delays for Joburg suburbs :Monday 8 February 2016

More rubbish delays for Joburg suburbs

Monday 8 February 2016 16:23

SABC

Samwu denies that it’s members downed tools last week.(SABC)

Waste management company, Pikitup says several Johannesburg suburbs may end up with two weeks of rubbish.

This is due to yet more disruptions after workers did not show up for work last week.

Managing Director, Amanda Nair says they are working on supplementing services to deal with the backlog.

She says Pikitup has applied for an interdict to prevent further disruptions by the South African Municipal Workers Union (Samwu) members.

“The matter went before a judge this morning. He has issued an interim order asking for some issues to be dealt with. He set the matter down for Thursday. We are hoping that we can secure the application to interdict the current action.”

Meanwhile, Samwu denies that it’s members downed tools last week.

Samwu’s Deputy regional chairperson, Vuyani Singozo says: “There is no such strike at Pikitup. Every time an issue comes up Pikitup’s management runs to the courts instead of meaningfully engaging with us. We believe that this is a waste of money, money that can be used to address service delivery issues.”

Click below to watch Pikitup protests video:


Share this page: Printer friendly version