Public Protector Thuli Madonsela has opened an investigation into publicly funded construction at the private residence of President Jacob Zuma. "Yes, an investigation is under way," Madonsela said.
Madonsela said her office began preparing for an investigation after an official complaint was made a few months ago. She said Democratic Alliance parliamentary leader Lindiwe Mazibuko also made a complaint last week.
"Because of our resource constraints, the investigation hasn't gone further than contacting the presidency," Madonsela said. "We are asking the presidency who makes what decisions and who is accountable.
On Friday, Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi said the upgrades at Zuma's residents were similar to those of former presidents.
He declined to disclose how much money had been spent on the security and other constructions. So far, high security fences had been erected, roads in the area had been upgraded and local fire fighting services had been developed for the helipads.
Reports have estimated the cost of the work to be between R203 million and R238 million.