SABC News - Pikitup continues dismissing striking workers:Monday 14 March 2016

Pikitup continues dismissing striking workers

Monday 14 March 2016 06:01

ANA

Pikitup workers intensified the strike by taking to the streets and leaving a trail of rubbishlast week.

Pikitup workers intensified the strike by taking to the streets and leaving a trail of rubbish last week.(SABC)

Pikitup on Sunday said it was continuing to issue pre-dismissal notices to striking workers affiliated to the SA Municipal Workers' Union (Samwu), adding that it hoped normal services would resume on Monday.

The Johannesburg waste management utility also welcomed the call by Samwu's national office for its members to return to work.

Pikitup had issued an ultimatum to its employees to return to work by noon on Thursday, which they brazenly ignored. Instead, they intensified the strike by taking to the streets and leaving a trail of rubbish in their wake all over the Johannesburg city centre.

By Friday, Pikitup strikers clashed with police, resulting in some injuries, while their trade union Samwu urged them to return to work as negotiations continued.

Pikitup workers went on an illegal strike on Wednesday - the fourth since November 2015 - demanding salary increases and the resignation of their boss Amanda Nair.

"Following the unruly behaviour of workers during the recent illegal strike where the city's assets were damaged, 19 workers were arrested. Eleven of them were released due to lack of evidence while the others are set to appear in court on charges of malicious damage to property and intimidation. More arrests are expected," Pikitup said on Sunday.

Samwu regional deputy secretary Paul Tlhabang could not immediately be reached for comment about the dismissals.

Pikitup apologised to affected residents and businesses, advising them to take out their bins as per their normal refuse schedule starting from Monday.

Share this page: Printer friendly version