SABC News - Kenyan troops to remain in Somalia despite attacks: Kenyatta:Tuesday 19 January 2016

Kenyan troops to remain in Somalia despite attacks: Kenyatta

Tuesday 19 January 2016 14:39

Sarah Kimani

The remains of four of the fallen soldiers were on Monday airlifted to Nairobi from Somalia.(Twitter @sarahkimani)

Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta says Kenyan troops will remain in Somalia even after last week's militant attacks in which a number of Kenyan soldiers were killed.

Kenyatta was making a televised address to the nation after last week's attack on African Union military bases in Somalia.

Kenya is yet to give casualty figures for its troops, but the Al-Shabaab militant group has given a figure of 100.

Kenyatta says the attacks have emboldened the East African nation to fight and defeat Al-Shabaab.

“Our soldiers did not die in vain. We have over the years relieved citizens of Somalia from the pitiless oppression of terror. Our efforts together with those of other peacekeepers have enabled normal operations in Somalia. We have all together contributed to global security.”

The remains of four of the fallen soldiers were on Monday airlifted to Nairobi from Somalia.

More bodies are expected in Nairobi within the course of the week.

Al-Shabab says it killed 63 of them but the militant group is known to cite higher figures of its casualties than official figures.

Share this page: Printer friendly version