SABC News - SABC needs mechanism to source additional funding:Thursday 12 October 2017

'SABC needs mechanism to source additional funding'

Thursday 12 October 2017 13:40

SABC

The SABC finances are under the spotlight as the organization has posted a loss of nearly a billion rand in a previous financial year.

The SABC finances are under the spotlight as the organization has posted a loss of nearly a billion rand in a previous financial year. (SABC)

Director at the Department of Communications, Nelisiwe Delwa, says the SABC needs to start looking at other techniques to source income.

This comes as the public broadcaster is functioning without a board of directors at the moment and that has prevented the Treasury to grant the organisation a bailout it requested.

The time of the Interim Board expired in August and it was expected that President Jacob Zuma would approve the candidate names selected by the Parliament last week, but he is yet to make an approval.

On Tuesday, Minister Ayanda Dlodlo appeared before the Communications Portfolio Committee along with the SABC senior management.

The public broadcaster’s finances were under the spotlight, revealing that the organization has posted a loss of nearly a billion rand.

Delwa says, "We are in discussion with the executive at the SABC to say they must look at other mechanism of where they can source additional funding for the organisation. We think it should be part of the SABC turnaround strategy because broadcasting globally has changed."

"There are other platforms that we think the SABC needs to play in, where advertising traditionally that used to come to broadcasters is moving into the online platforms. As a result, the revenue generation model will need to be re-looked at much more intensely, because that’s where everybody is going. This is the way that the SABC is going to remain  relevant."   

Watch a video below:

Share this page: Printer friendly version
 
SABC ©