SABC News - ANC ward candidate charged with DA councillor murder:Monday 22 August 2016

ANC ward candidate charged with DA councillor murder

Monday 22 August 2016 20:08

Reginald Witbooi

DA councillor Johannes Baaitjie and his business partner were allegedly lured into a trap, dragged from their car and shot.

DA councillor Johannes Baaitjie and his business partner were allegedly lured into a trap, dragged from their car and shot.(SABC)

An African National Congress (ANC) ward candidate has been charged with the murder of Democratic Alliance (DA) councillor, Johannes Baaitjie, near Danielskuil in the Northern Cape last week.

The 29-year-old Zoliselo Magawu appeared in the Postmasburg Magistrate's Court on Monday.

The case has been postponed to next week Monday.

Magawu faces separate charges of armed robberies and he has been remanded in custody.

Baaitjie and his business-partner were allegedly lured into a trap, dragged from their car and shot.

He died on the scene and his partner is fighting for his life in hospital.

The inaugural Kgatelopele council meeting was postponed after the killing.

The DA and Kgatelopele Community Forum were to form a coalition and take control of the municipality from the ANC.

The DA says Baaitjie received death threats from the ANC before he was killed.

The ANC says it is shocked that at the news of the arrest.

The Hawks say more arrests are imminent.

Click on the video below for more:

Share this page: Printer friendly version
 
SABC ©